On a balmy Sunday in June 1957, a group of about 50 Christians met in the cafeteria of Memorial Elementary School to worship. Their goal – to start a new congregation on Houston’s blossoming west side. Thus began the Memorial Church of Christ congregation. The small group desired to focus on Biblical teaching and on mission work in other parts of the country and abroad.
As the congregation began to grow, church organizers knew it was necessary to purchase land and construct a meeting house on the west side of town. Using contributions and the sale of bonds, land was purchased on Echo Lane and construction of classrooms and a small auditorium began in mid-1958. By November, the church conducted its first worship service with an overflow crowd and the church had a permanent home.
Due to the rapid growth of the area, and an increasing membership, founding members soon realized the need for expansion of the physical space, so additional classroom space was added and the parking lot was expanded. As the membership continued to increase, God blessed Memorial with astute leaders who had the wisdom to plan ahead as they raised money for an additional building, which housed a larger auditorium. This work was completed in 1963, and later, in 1985, a Family Center was constructed in the southeast corner of the property.
In 2014, on average, 900 gather for worship each Sunday to praise God for all that He has done for us.
In April 2013, the church began a 3 year capital campaign to raise funds for a new gathering space, education building and chapel. In May 2015, the original building was demolished to make way for the new (and much needed) space for the growing Memorial congregation.
The new addition was completed October 2016. We are enjoying the space and as you can see in the pictures below that it is getting lots of good use. Come and join us on a Wednesday evening for Bible study or Sunday for worship and Bible study or any other time during the week.
This is a Gallery